A few quips about the NBA and NHL Playoffs over the first couple of rounds.
– #8 Memphis Grizzlies comprehensively defeat #1 San Antonio Spurs in 6 games. Only Charles Barkley correctly predicted this amongst the media pundits.
– #8 Memphis Grizzlies beat #4 Oklahoma City Thunder 114-101 in game 1 of 2nd round and have stolen home court thanks to a split in the first 2 games.
– #3 Dallas Mavericks have now blown a 23 point lead (lost) and rallied from a 16 point deficit (won) in the same postseason. That’s probably a first.
– #1 Washington Capitals SWEPT by #5 Tampa Bay Lightning, who have now won 7 straight games after being down 3-1 in their 1st round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
– Philadelphia Flyers have now pulled their goalie 5 out of 10 games thus far (6 if you count game 2 against Boston when Brian Boucher was temporarily pulled due to injury). They were 11th in the league in goals against and a middling but not terrible 10th out of 16 playoff teams. Not all of their troubles are down to goalie problems, but goalies, defense, turnovers, etc. are all leading to Peter Laviolette’s team on the brink of elimination.
– 14 of the last 15 days of NHL action have seen an overtime game.
– Not counting tonight’s in-progress San Jose Sharks @ Detroit Red Wings OT thriller, the road team has won all but one extra-session game in the 2nd round.
Don’t you just love post-season time?